Thursday, September 22, 2011

Swoon by Nina Malkin



Title/Author: Swoon (Swoon #1) by Nina Malkin
Publisher/Date published: Simon Pulse, May 19th 2009
How I got this book: own it

Goodreads summary: "Torn from her native New York City and dumped in the land of cookie-cutter preps, Candice is resigned to accept her posh, dull fate. Nothing ever happens in Swoon, Connecticut... until Dice's perfect, privileged cousin Penelope nearly dies in a fall from an old tree, and her spirit intertwines with that of a ghost. His name? Sinclair Youngblood Powers. His mission? Revenge. And while Pen is oblivious to the possession, Dice is all too aware of Sin. She's intensely drawn to him - but not at all crazy about the havoc he's wreaking. Determined to exorcise the demon, Dice accidentally sets Sin loose, gives him flesh, makes him formidable. Now she must destroy an even more potent - and irresistible - adversary, before the whole town succumbs to Sin's will. Only trouble is, she's in love with him.
What do you do when the boy of your dreams is too bad to be true?"

This was an odd book. Seriously. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I think of this book: odd.

I never connected with Dice or Pen or Sin and this made it much less interesting to read about all their drama. I didn't really get the relationship between Dice and Pen or Dice and Sin or Pen and Sin (yes, there's some triangling going on here) and I was just confused by the thing as a whole.

While the story premise sounded so interesting and it could have been, I never felt like it reached it's full potential. There were some parts that I thought: oh, so this is where it'll start to get good. And then it turned around and something weird happened to throw me off again. Really annoying.

Most important objection I had: the romance was OFF. I didn't believe it and didn't understand how Dice could be in love with Sin. He was evil and manipulating and just plain nasty. I mean, it sounded so superficial: yeah sure he does evil things, but he's HOT! (This is what it sounded like to me anyway)

Oh, and I'm not one to say this, but: there was way too much sex in this book. There, I said it. And you know I read historical romance, so I'm not against it being there, but this was just not right. It felt more adult than YA.

I'm really not sure if I'll even read the next book in the series, even though it's hard for me not finishing a series. This book just wasn't for me.

My rating: 1,5 stars

3 comments:

  1. You perfectly summed up my feelings for this book. I completely lost interest and had bad book aftertaste after finishing it. I have absolutely no desire to pick up the next one either. Hope your next read is better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books sounds bad, but your review seems fair and honest. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is just ridiculous. I seriously disliked it so, so much. The sex aspect was just disgusting. I'm not against sex being in YA books at all, but the way it was presented here was just gratuitous. And you're right, the "romance" made absolutely no sense. I managed to finish this one simply because I was so appalled by it and I couldn't believe what I was reading. :/

    ReplyDelete