Thursday, January 12, 2012

Too Wicked To Wed by Cara Elliott



Title/Author: Too Wicked To Wed by Cara Elliott
Publisher/Date published: Forever, November 1st 2011
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "Outspoken and independent, Lady Alexa Bingham enjoys the heady freedom of making all her own decisions, even though the challenges of overseeing her family's country estate are daunting. But when a chance encounter with London's most notorious rake awakens a secret longing for adventure, she accepts her aunt's invitation for a Season in Town . . . only to find that breaking the rules of the ton has serious consequences.
The Earl of Killingworth uses his rakehell reputation to hide the fact that poverty has forced him to work for a living. As the owner of a gambling den and brothel, Connor has no time for glittering ballrooms or innocent young ladies. But after a reckless wager leaves him with a new business partner, he is forced to take a risky gamble... Will the cards fall in their favor? Alexa and Connor begin to play a dangerous game of intrigue and deception as they seek to outwit a cunning adversary who wants to put them permanently out of business. But if they are not careful, it is the flames of their own fiery attraction that may destroy them."

If you ever decide to read this book, you should know that the first couple of pages shouldn't discourage you. I felt thrown right in the middle of a story and it was disorienting and confusing at first. And I had a WTF?? moment. But after that it got much better. MUCH BETTER!

I really, genuinely liked Alexa. Sure, she didn't always seem to think her actions through, but at least she DID something! Instead of simpering in a corner waiting for someone to look for her, she dresses up as a boy, enters a men's club and manages to win half a business playing cards. And makes the decision to actually hold onto that half. Which makes for some very interesting clashes with our hero.

What I also liked about Alexa is that she's truly capable. She has been taking care of business on the family estate for years, so she knows about expenses and everything that comes with running something. And she has great business ideas it turns out. I also loved that she wasn't afraid to get her hands dirty.

I'm not entirely sure what made our hero lock away his heart, but he definitely did. He blows hot and cold and Alexa doesn't know what to make of it, and I didn't either for some time. But of course we learn his true feelings in the end. I liked that though he created scandal, he was also really good for his employees and honorable, you just had to look a little deeper to see all this.

I really liked the tension between the two and something I also really enjoyed: there was some humour infused now and then. I also really liked Connor's friends and am looking forward to reading their own lovestories (at least, I imagine that there will be more books featuring them).

Towards the end I did want to whack Alexa over the head, because seriously, how could she be so stupid to get herself into SO much trouble and endanger her life? I mean, seriously? That woman she trusted in had 'bad news' written all over her. And I thought the bad guy's motive was pretty crappy. But other than that this was a really enjoyable read and perfect for the days around Christmas in my opinion.

My rating: 4 stars

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I want to read this and I really thank you for all the warnings because now I feel like I know what I'm getting myself into and not to be discouraged by the beginning - I hate when I'm thrown in the middle of a story.

    Thanks for the review, I think I would like the hero too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daisy!! I love it! I should really give a try!! :) :) I kind of fell into historical romance in the last days and I must admit it that I totally totally love it!! :) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I always, always appreciate it when bloggers tell us to keep going after a slow start. So many times I slog through a first chapter and wonder if I should keep going--so it's nice when I know that it DOES get better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very amused that the main character shares my name. It makes me that much more interested in reading the novel like NOW. I need a historical romance fix!

    ReplyDelete