Friday, March 23, 2012

TGIF at GReads! (4)



TGIF is an original meme hosted by the lovely Ginger @ GReads!
Each week she posts another fun question for the blogosphere to ponder over :)

This Friday's Question:
Bookish Trends: What are some bookish trends you are noticing in the literature world today? Is there a particular trend you'd like to see more of?

A trend I've been noticing in YA is the appearance of mermaids and sirens. Mermaids and sirens are the new vampires and werewolves ;) I LOVE this trend, I've been fascinated with mermaids ever since I watched The Little Mermaid as a kid (I SO wanted to be Ariel!).

Also, as my buddy Alexa mentioned in her post: strong female characters. Of course I am loving this trend as well! I like my characters wellrounded and while I also appreciate the pure kickbutting thing that some have going on, the characters that I really love are the ones that also have a sensitive side.

What I'd really like to see more of is main characters in their late teens/early twenties, more college-aged characters. It's not really a trend, but I would like to see more of it ;)

What are things that have caught your attention? Or anything you're wishing to appear in books more often?
Happy Friday! :D

9 comments:

  1. I agree - love mermaids!! :)

    New follower!

    Lisa @ Lost in Literature
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for following! :)

      Delete
  2. I think I would just LOVE it if there were more "older" YA books out there. I am 19 myself so reading about characters who are a bit closer to my age would be fascinating. Also strong female heroines FTW!
    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I would love to read about characters experiencing college and the search for a first job and everything! I finished Tempest by Julie Cross today, the main character was 19, hooray! :D

      Delete
  3. Mermaids are made of awesome, I think!
    I've also seen more older YA, which is fun.
    And many road-trip books in the last couple of years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, you'll have to recommend some of those older YA books to me! I seem to miss most of them...
      And yes, roadtrips! Those have been in a lot of books as well!

      Delete
  4. 20 aged young adults should be more prevalent for sure! Let that be a trend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read mermaid/siren books just yet. That DEFINITELY needs to be remedied!

    ReplyDelete