Sunday, August 26, 2012

Daisy Update (19) and Book Haul (2)

Hi guys!

So I've been MIA a bit over the past 1,5 week. The weather gods decided it was time for a little tropical summer time in Holland and we suddenly had temperatures up to 40C over the weekend. And while I love our apartment very much, it's even hotter inside than out when the sun is shining, so I avoided it like the plague and fled to a nearby lake to survive the day in the shade. Which meant virtually no computer time, but it's raining again, so YAY CATCHING UP ON BLOGGING! :)

So last weekend was spent swimming, buying a new fridge (which I'm ridiculously excited about, we now have a fridge with a light, functioning freezer and basically IT WORKS, HOORAY!), going out to dinner and sitting on the balcony drinking rosé and sangria. It felt like a mini-vacation :)

Then on Monday my brother had to defend this master thesis and after that he graduated! I'm SO proud of him! We went out to dinner with my parents, his girlfriend and my boyfriend to celebrate and just had a wonderful time! I did feel a bit bad for the guys, cause they had to wear a suit in the heat, while I could just chill in my pretty dress :)

Work was a bit quieter this week, the floor I was working on is still half closed for the summer, so the number of patients is a lot more manageable than the floor I've been working the past 1,5 month, so that was kinda nice. I had my first ever on call evening Thursday and the patients and I both survived it, so yay!

Friday night the boyfriend and I just sat on the couch together and watched TV. We finally got around to watching Serenity after really liking Firefly and being SO disappointed the series ended after so few episodes... I enjoyed Serenity less than the series, but it was nice as well.

Yesterday I visited my parents, my brother also come over for dinner, it was fun to just hang out with our little family, we pretty much never do that anymore because of everyone's busy schedule. Later that night I went over to the boyfriend's parents' house and we stayed over and socialized there for a bit with his brothers and their girlfriends, which was nice as well.

Today is the day in which I will do nothing except catch up on blogging, reading and relaxing. And quite possibly watch the new ANTM episode :) The fact that it's been raining since I got up this morning is doing nothing to make me regret this decision ;)

Bookish Update: I've been a bit failing at reading this week because of all the business with family and a presentation at work. But I will try and catch up today! I also celebrated my second payday by buying 3 books (which in the grand scheme of things isn't even all that much, yay self control!).

My Book Haul for the past three weeks:
Bought:
- The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margo Livesey
- Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore
- THe Gray Wolf Throne by Cinda Williams Chima (already read and LOVED)
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Lessons From a Scandalous Bride by Sophie Jordan (already read and LOVED)
- Auracle by Gina Rosati
- Sweetly by Jackson Pearce
- The List by Siobhan Vivian

- Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas (SO MUCH LOVE!!!)
- Endlessly by Kiersten White

Won:
- Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo. I won this book from Sarah @ Sarah Says Read who is all kinds of wonderful and sent me a lovely card with the book! Thank you so much, I absolutely LOVE this book and can't wait to reread it!!

For review:
- The Mephisto Kiss by Trinity Faegen
- How To Disgrace a Lady by Bronwyn Scott
- The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente
- Crewel by Gennifer Albin
- The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski
- Much Ado About Magic by Shanna Swendson
- Cleopatra Ascending by Maureen Lipinski
- How TO Deceive a Duke by Lecia Cornwall
- Victoria Rebels by Carolyn Meyer

I'm SO excited about all these books! And to show you one last time how ridiculously happy I was when my beautiful copy of Throne of Glass got here, I'll leave you with this picture:

I hope you're all having a nice Sunday and a wonderful week!!

14 comments:

  1. Great haul Daisy!! :) Enjoy all this awesomeness ;) Nice to have you back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your brother!
    And what a great haul - happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowzas! Thats some hot weather!

    Congrats to your bro! :)

    AWESOME books!! I really want to read The List ... it looks super good!

    Enjoy your blogging day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! I mean, I complain of the cold, but this heat was a bit overdone ;)
      Thank you, I'm really proud of him and really glad I got to share his big day with him :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, up to 40C?
    We melt here in the city when we start inching toward 30C LOL but then, most houses here don't have air conditioning or heating, so we are at the mercy of fans and blankets.
    Plus, it has been raining a lot too - it seems like every couple of years we get rainy season from february until november :P- but c'est la vie.

    Congrats to your brother and on getting a new fridge!!! New appliances are awesome! And I'm so happy your job is going well!
    Also, can't wait to discuss the new ANTM! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was CRAZY! It's never that hot around here, I mean, sometimes we go up to 30-32C and then it starts raining the same day.
      Lol, we melt here as well ;) We don't have airconditioning either and I usually scoff at the thought of getting it, but last weekend it would have been nice!

      Thank you!! I'll watch the new episode soon and we'll discuss EVERYTHING! :)

      Delete
  5. I have so many more on mine as well! ;) I don't think my wishlist will ever be void of books... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would have died in that heat! High twenties is about as much as I can deal with. And yey for Throne of Glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If all you had to do was lay around outside in the shade, it wasn't so bad ;) The heat just wouldn't leave the apartment, which was really annoying when it was time to go to sleep...
      Yay for Throne of Glass! :)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you've had a fantastic week!!! And OMG YAYYYYY FOR FIREFLY! I really wish they would bring it back, it was SUCH a great show. A friend of mine actually paid $800 to have an exact replica of Mal's browncoat made.

    And hooray for swimming, hot weather, socializing, and having a good week at work. And nice book haul!!

    Hope you have another lovely week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I wish they'd bring it back as well!! And preferably without that death in the movie... SO SAD! Also, your friend sounds awesome, I love that coat!
      And thank you! :)

      Delete
  8. Yay for Throne of Glass! I haven't gotten my copy yet, boo, but I will soon!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty! Hope yours gets there soon! :)

      Delete