Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Review of Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex


Title/Author: Almost a Scandal by Elizabeth Essex
Publisher/Date published: St. Martin's Press, July 31st 2012
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: "For generations, the Kents have served proudly with the British Royal Navy. So when her younger brother refuses to report for duty, Sally Kent slips into a uniform and takes his place — at least until he comes to his senses. Boldly climbing aboard the Audacious, Sally is as able-bodied as any sailor there. But one man is making her feel tantalizingly aware of the full-bodied woman beneath her navy blues...
Dedicated to his ship, sworn to his duty — and distractingly gorgeous — Lieutenant David Colyear sees through Sally’s charade, and he’s furious. But he must admit she’s the best midshipman on board — and a woman who tempts him like no other. With his own secrets to hide and his career at stake, Col agrees to keep her on. But can the passion they hide survive the perils of a battle at sea? Soon, their love and devotion will be put to the test..."

Guys, if I can tell you one thing about my reading habits, it's that I love a good crossdressing. Even though sometimes it's just ridiculous that not everyone sees through the dirt/hat/whatever sort of cover up. I don't know many women who could pass for a man.
That said, I LOVE IT! And in a romance novel it usually creates wonderful tension and excitement and OMG! WHEN WILL I BE DISCOVERED moments.

So I was all kinds of excited when I read the summary for Almost A Scandal. And then I started reading. And waited for the good stuff. And waited. And then waited some more. I'm sad to say it never really got to the point where I got excited about the story itself or the writing.

Sally is a nice enough heroine and I liked that she was really knowledgeable about everything midshipmen should be knowledgeable about. I know diddly-squat about this, but I respect a girl who actually applies herself to learning everything there is to know about what she in her heart of hearts wants to do. And with her having spent so much time on her father's ship, it seemed logical that she'd have the required skills. I did think that she was a bit too perfect, she was liked by EVERYBODY, even those who did not like her at first. It was just a little hard to believe at times.

I liked David, but I never really fell for him like I wanted to. He was a little too rigid and the last couple of chapters put me off a bit. I was really angry at him for things I shall not mention in lieu (why yes, I do know some fancy words) of spoiling certain happenings.

David discovers pretty quickly that Sally is in fact a girl without a real OH NO! moment for Sally and I was disappointed by this. I love the big discovery moments! For me this also diminished the tension between the two. I don't know how else to put it, but the romance was missing that little oomph that makes me feel all the things.

As a first in the series, I got a bit overwhelmed by all the family members in the later chapters as they seemed to make sort of random appearances. I wasn't really feeling the romance and without that driving me on, it read rather slow and was too much historical and not enough romance. Which is fine, but not what I was expecting from it.

My rating: 2 stars

2 comments:

  1. This sounded like it was going to be fun, so I'm sad it fell a little short for you. Have you ever read THE GIFT by Julie Garwood? You should read that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good crossdressing story too! But the tension of being discovered and the moment when it happens it's are the best things about this trope and it doesn't sound like this book delivered on those regards.

    I was excited when I was reading the summary too but *sigh* it later seemed like Sally and the Lt were nice characters but a bit bland and I don't think that works well in this type of story.

    thanks for the review! and i hope you next read rocks.

    ReplyDelete