Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Review of The Burning Sky by Sherry Thomas


Title/Author: The Burning Sky (The Elemental Trilogy #1) by Sherry Thomas
Publisher/Date published: Balzer + Bray, September 17th 2013
How I got this book: received it from the publisher as an egalley
Buy this book at: The Book Depository

Goodreads summary: It all began with a ruined elixir and an accidental bolt of lightning...

Iolanthe Seabourne is the greatest elemental mage of her generation — or so she's being told. The one prophesied for years to be the savior of The Realm. It is her duty and destiny to face and defeat the Bane, the greatest mage tyrant the world has ever known. A suicide task for anyone let alone a sixteen-year-old girl with no training, facing a prophecy that foretells a fiery clash to the death.

Prince Titus of Elberon has sworn to protect Iolanthe at all costs but he's also a powerful mage committed to obliterating the Bane to avenge the death of his family — even if he must sacrifice both Iolanthe and himself to achieve his goal.

But Titus makes the terrifying mistake of falling in love with the girl who should have been only a means to an end. Now, with the servants of the Bane closing in, he must choose between his mission and her life

This book, you guys, THIS BOOK!!! OMG! I already knew that Debby and Kelly loved this book, but still, I cannot believe how much I loved The Burning Sky!!

I don't even know where to begin! I read this over the space of 6 days and was excited EVERY TIME to get back to it! Know that it's not the book that made me take forever to read it, I've been SO BUSY lately that I hardly had time to breathe, let alone read. But let's get back to the part where I was EXCITED about this book! I've missed that feeling! I have read a couple of less than stellar books lately and it just felt so good to submerge myself in an amazing world again!

I totally adore both Iolanthe and Titus! They are both so incredibly strong and smart and charming and JUST LET ME HUG YOU OK?? I was rooting for them, even when Titus breaks Iolanthe's trust! They both want to do the right thing and OMG, I just, I cannot even be coherent about this! Iolanthe is awesome and powerful and brave and just generally my kind of girl! And TITUS! Did I ever tell you guys how much I love princes? Cause I do! And Titus is the right kind of prince, all swoonworthy and noble! He's created his whole life and the way he appears to the world around this task he's been given and I cannot help but admire his dedication.

AND YOU GUYS, THE ROMANCE!!! *SWOON* I wanted to shake them and just #@%& KISS ALREADY! These two definitely brought tears to my eyes and it was glorious! I loved that the romance wasn't the most important plot point, but it is there and it adds to the story and it made my heart happy!

I so love a good fantasy and Sherry Thomas really brought it with this debut novel! And there was so much for me to love! Two amazing main characters, solid worldbuilding, a romance that brought tears to my eyes and MAGIC! Be still my heart! And now the wait for the sequel will surely kill me... If you haven't picked it up already, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GO READ IT!!

My rating: 5 stars

Made me crave: French toast

6 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh, awesome! I already know this is a 'Debby book' so I was already expecting much of it. This book sounds great and I think I'll really like it when I get my hands on it :D

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I absolutely loved this book too. I loved the world-building, the characters, and the romance! One of the best fantasy books I've read. (I think my review is scheduled to post in a week or so). Great review! ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am dying to read this one!!! It sounds so good and all these raving reviews have me craving it even more!!

    Rebecca @ The Library Canary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Added to my TBR! I love to see you so excited about a fantasy book, because chances are I'll probably love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you liked it! I've seen some mixed reviews about this book, each positive one reaffirms that I'd like to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eep! The feels in this book. Gah! So overwhelming. I was hyperventilating after finishing the book. Gawd. It was so brilliant. I better write and post my review soon :)

    ReplyDelete