Monday, April 20, 2015

Review of Aimee and the Heartthrob by Ophelia London


Title/Author: Aimee and the Hearttrob (Backstage Pass #1) by Ophelia London
Publisher/Date published: Entangled Publishing, April 14th 2015
How I got this book: received it from the publisher through NetGalley

Goodreads summary: He never noticed her before, but now she’s all he can see…

Miles Carlisle is every teen girl’s fantasy. His rugged good looks and exotic British accent have helped catapult his boy band, Seconds to Juliet, to super-stardom. But after two disastrous and very public breakups, Miles isn’t interested in dating just any girl; he wants The One. And the only girl he’s interested in is not only his best friend’s little sister ― and off-limits ― but won’t even give him the time of day…

As a kid, Aimee Bingham had a huge thing for Miles... until he made fun of her for always tagging along. Now that she’s outgrown both him and her pigtails. the prospect of spending two weeks on tour with the childhood crush who broke her heart isn’t exactly enticing. Except now Miles seems interested. Very interested. And no matter how hard Aimee tries to resist him, her crush is definitely making a comeback.

But everyone knows that falling for a heartthrob is a backstage pass to heartbreak...

I think everyone probably has had a celebrity-crush at some point. But what if said celebrity is someone you knew before they made it big and what if they return your crush? I was expecting all kinds of cuteness when I started Aimee and the Heartthrob.
And it was cute, it was fun and I enjoyed reading it, but it didn't blow me away or made me fall in love along with Aimee. And I like have book crushes, so that's a shame.

I liked Aimee, but it bothered me a bit to have yet another YA heroine be like 'I didn't know I was beautiful', when all the boys think she's really hot. I mean, come on, girl owns a mirror right? It's just been done so many times before and it gets old. But aside from that, I liked her, it's obviously a bonus that she's a big reader and also a book reviewer, how cool is that? It's a shame that side of her wasn't a bigger part of the novel, I would have loved it if it was!

Miles was ok, I mean, I get the whole crush on the big brother's best friend thing and he's British, which mostly works in a guy's favor and then he also writes songs. I get it. I just wasn't that impressed by him otherwise. Like I mentioned before, I didn't fall in love along with Aimee, while Miles was a decent enough guy, I wasn't really into him myself.

And then there's the drama moment. I would have thought that it would have been angst with Aimee's brother finding out about them, and there is some of that. But mostly it's about something else and I could definitely get that it wigged Miles out when he saw it. I mean, yeah, I would have been a bit taken aback as well. BUT I also feel that his reaction to it and refusing to let Aimee explain was uncalled for. And it bothered me that after there's been a misunderstanding between them earlier, he'd just not communicate. It felt a bit like drama for the drama and not really relevant plotwise.

But Aimee and the Heartthrob did keep me entertained in the quiet moments of my nightshift and while it's not perfect, it was an enjoyable read. It's pretty entertaining seeing how things work behind the scenes of a boyband and Aimee and Miles did have some cute, fluffy moments that made me smile.

My rating: 3 stars

1 comment:

  1. I actually bought this one because it sounds really cute! I hope I wind up enjoying it, because it does sound like just the kind of plot that I would have written in the days of my boy band obsession ;)

    ReplyDelete